The key to the global success of the J Boats product range is recognising what the market needs and then providing the right product or model to meet that need. It’s not rocket science but J Boats continue to prove themselves extremely insightful by comparison with many. This insight and understanding is what led to the development of the J/108.
The J/108 is a 35 foot performance cruiser, with a lifting centreboard enabling a sailing draft of just 4 feet. This is the same centreboard system that has been employed with huge success on the smaller J/95. The J/108 also features twin rudders and wheel steering, thus ensuring superb stability and manageability in a boat that is still exciting to sail.
The J/108 has the same hull design and interior as the phenomenally successful J/109; a clean and uncluttered deck layout coupled with every cruising comfort below decks. She has a slightly smaller rig than the J/109 however, a fixed sprit (as opposed to a retractable one) and a German mainsheet system. All of these features combine to make her a pleasure to sail and will endear the J/108 to anyone who wants to cruise fast, club race or creek-hop without the requirement for a full race crew.
While the concept of ‘shoal draft performance’ may seem ambitious, the delicate balance of hull design, windward performance, off-the-wind speed, and cruising comfort are achievable in a shoal-draft sailboat. The J/95 was the sailing industry’s first Triple Crown Winner– garnering SAIL Magazine’s ‘Performance’ Boat Award, SAILING WORLD Magazine’s ‘Performance’ Boat Award and CRUISING WORLD Magazine’s ‘Day Sailing’ Boat Award.
• High performance sailing with minimal draft.
• Offshore-capable 35 foot cruising yacht you can moor/dock in front of your home.
• Keel/centerboard system providing both shallow and deep water performance.
• The unique ability to sail upwind in minimal draft configuration (with board up).
• Twin Rudders with responsive wheel steering – fingertip control.
• Fixed sprit for 2nd furling headsail and integral anchor roller for easy anchoring.
• Large, ergonomic cockpit with floor mounted traveler and open transom – with optional cockpit shower, dock box, everything for coastal living.
• Single-handed ease of operation with primary sail controls within reach of the wheel.
- LOA: 10.85 m
- LWL: 9.30 m
- BEAM: 3.51 m
- DRAFT (centreboard raised): 1.25 m
- DRAFT (centreboard down): 2.10 m
- BALLAST: 2,000 kg
- DISPLACEMENT: 5,180 kg
- ENGINE: 28hp
- SAIL AREA: 56 m²
- SPINNAKER AREA: 97 m²
- CE APPROVAL: A